Specializing in Cervical Radiculopathy Treatment
What is cervical radiculopathy surgery?
surgery is performed to decompress a pinched nerve. There are several types of cervical radiculopathy surgeries. The most common that Dr. Virella performs are the following:
- A discectomy. Portions of a nerve pinching intervertebral disc are removed.
- An artificial disc replacement. A diseased or damaged disc is removed and then replaced with an implant.
- A laminectomy. The posterior portion of a vertebra is removed.
All of these procedures are effective at eliminating symptoms. The decision regarding which procedure to perform is one that Dr. Virella makes based on each patient's condition. The procedures are most often performed minimally invasively. Dr. Virella uses this type of new and unique technique to provide his patients with the following benefits:
- Less time in surgery
- A smaller incision
- A quicker recovery
Dr. Virella has helped countless patients using minimally invasive surgery as a cervical radiculopathy treatment/procedure. His education, skills, and experience allow him to provide patients with a treatment solution they cannot find elsewhere.
What does cervical radiculopathy surgery treat?
is used to treat a pinched nerve and the symptoms it causes. The most common of which are:
- Neck pain
- Lower back pain
- Extremity weakness, numbness, and tingling
There are several conditions that can cause a pinched nerve. They include the following:
- Herniated disc. Occurs when an intervertebral disc slips or bulges posteriorly into the spinal canal.
- Spinal stenosis. A condition characterized by the narrowing of the spinal canal.
- Osteoarthritis. A chronic disease that causes the wear and tear of vertebral bone and soft tissue. In many cases, osteoarthritis causes bony growths (bone spurs) that pinch the spinal cord or spinal nerve roots.
Patients who have been diagnosed with these conditions and are looking for a cervical radiculopathy doctor/surgeon who can provide them with symptom relief are encouraged to make an appointment
with Dr. Virella.
If you are ready to find a solution to your back, neck or spine condition contact us to make an appointment with Dr. Virella. With three convenient locations in Agoura Hills, CA, Valencia, CA, and Palmdale, CA, making an appointment is easier than ever.
Anthony Virella, MD
Anthony Virella, MD is a Board-Certified, Fellowship Trained Neurological Spine Surgeon with advanced training in the management spinal disorders. He is also a graduate of the UCLA Neurosurgery Residency Program and completed his Complex Spine Resident Fellowship at the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Additional work included a second Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery at the UCLA Comprehensive Spine Center. Dr. Virella is a nationally recognized spine specialist and has authored numerous articles and lectured nationally and internationally in the field of Complex and Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery.